Popular in the alleys of Venice, our Spaghettie with anchovies and capers recipe provides masses of flavour in a simple, quick dish.
- Spelt spaghetti – enough for two
- Anchovies – half a jar (approx. 50g)
- Black olives 50g
- 2 Banana shallots
- Half a lemon and zest
- Bunch of fresh parsley
- 2 Garlic cloves
- Black pepper
- 3 teaspoons capers
- Pine nuts – small handful (approx. 30g)
- Olive oil
Nigella’s great TV series, Nigellissima featured a spaghetti recipe popular in the alleys of Venice, Pasta and sardines. Nigella’s Spelt spaghetti recipe which uses anchovies for the fishy flavour looked fantastic and really easy to make. Drawing inspiration from an Italian classic and Nigella’s own variation of it, we have created a really simple spaghetti and anchovies recipe that goes just a little bit further and delivers a real hit of flavour.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and add your spelt spaghetti.
- Bring a frying pan up to a moderate heat, throw in the pine nuts and toast until golden.
- Empty your frying pan and bring a small amount of olive oil up to heat. Finely chop your shallots and gently fry them until they start to turn golden at the edges.
- While your shallots are frying, add all of your other ingredients to your food processor or blender. Use a zester to add the zest of half a lemon and squeeze in the juice. Peel the garlic before adding and make sure the olives are pitted. Grind in a good measure of black pepper and whizz everything up.
- When everything is uniformly chopped, pour in a good glug of olive oil and whizz again. Keep adding oil and whizzing until the ingredients form a smooth consistent texture.
- By now your spaghetti should be cooked.
- Combine your spelt spaghetti, anchovy sauce and shallots in a large pan before serving.