It's beautiful to look at and just as good to eat, with light flavours of smoked mackerel, fresh dill and lightly toasted pine nuts, it turns a quick midweek dinner into something much more special.
- 1 packet smoked mackerel (three fillets)
- 50g pine nuts
- 2 banana shallots
- Small bunch of fresh dill (Save a few sprigs for a garnish)
- 100g frozen or fresh peas
- Generous splash of vermouth
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Half a packet linguine
- 4 tsp capers
- Dash of plain olive oil for cooking
Our Pasta with mackerel, pine nuts and peas was inspired by a recipe featured on Nigella's Nigellissima TV series, where Nigella used Marsala and sultanas our recipe uses vermouth and peas to give it a lighter and fresher flavour.
- Start by bringing a large pan of water up to a boil and add the linguine
- Place your pine nuts in a medium frying pan and toast until they start to turn golden brown. Once toasted keep to one side
- Bring olive oil up to temperature in your pan.
- Peel and finely chop the shallots, add to the pan and cook gently until soft.
- Turn up heat and splash in the vermouth and cook off.
- Remove the skin and shred the three mackerel fillets before adding them to your frying along with the peas and capers.
- Tear in most of your dill and add a good squeeze of lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat the ingredients in the pan before combining with the cooked and drained linguine and the pine nuts.
- Finish by adding a few sprigs of dill.