Homemade lemon curd is something special, it's nothing like the shop bought variety which can be a bit bland and lacking in that sharp tang of fresh lemon.
- Juice and zest of 4 fresh lemons
- 4 large eggs
- 320g caster sugar
- 200g unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon of cornflour (optional add to thicken to your preference)
This recipe is so easy to make and it keeps for weeks as well.
- Start this great lemon curd recipe by preparing your ingredients. Grate the zest of your lemons into a bowl and extract their juice. Into another bowl measure out 320g of caster sugar, chop your butter into small pieces, and finally have your cornflour at the ready.
- Now break your eggs into a large Pyrex bowl and whisk them. Make sure that the yolks and whites are well broken and mixed together.
- When the eggs are whisked together, place your mixing bowl over a pan of simmering water and add all of the other ingredients slowly, whisking all the time.
- Continue to whisk your lemon curd until it thickens, which will take up to 8 minutes.
- As soon as the lemon curd starts to thicken, lower the heat to a very low simmer and leave for 1 minute.
- Now take it off the heat and decant to sterilised jars, which you should seal and allow to cool. Your lemon curd should be stored in a cool dark place.