La Vignarola is a bit of Italy on a plate. Simple, fresh flavours from a few stand-out ingredients make this a really comforting dish that can be enjoyed on its own or as part of a larger meal.
- 100g Broad beans
- 100g Frozen peas
- 5 Artichoke hearts (you can use tinned)
- 100g diced Pancetta
- Large knob of butter
- Larg pinch of fresh Oregano leaves
- Sprinkling of chopped fresh mint
- Salt and pepper to taste
The aim of the La Vignarola recipe is to get equal quantities of each of the main ingredients, so you can use our quantities as a guide if you prefer.
- Start by peeling your broad beans by blanching in just boiled water for a few seconds and then tipping into iced water. You can use this method for fresh or frozen broad beans. Just squeeze one end of the bean and the skin should slip off.
- Chop your artichoke heart in half.
- Add a large knob of butter and a large pinch of oregano leaves to a pan and bring up to heat.
- When the butter has melted tip in your frozen peas and move around the pan.
- After approximately one minute, add your broad beans, artichoke hearts and chop and add your Pancetta.
- Boil some water and pour it into the pan until the level is just below the surface of all of your ingredients.
- Grind in some black pepper and some salt, and place a lid on your pan.
- Leave to simmer, checking occasionally until the liquid starts to reduce and thicken slightly.
- Serve with a sprinkling of fresh mint and a drizzle of olive oil.