Gelato cake is a classic Italian recipe that takes a basic ice cream and mixes it with all sorts of flavours and textures to really get your taste buds working.
- 8 meringue nests
- 300ml double cream
- Splosh of rum
- 150g raspberries
- 40g dark quality chocolate stored in the fridge
Gelato cake is really simple to make but will impress friends at a dinner party. Our recipe is inspired by Nigella’s meringue gelato cake which we loved.
- Start by whisking your double cream until it thickens but remains smooth and soft.
- Mix in a splosh of rum.
- Chop your chocolate using a slicing method, this will create small pieces of chocolate, but not as small as grating.
- Add your chocolate to the mixture of cream and rum.
- Now crush in your meringue nests. We would suggest buying them rather than making your own meringues.
- Finally add your raspberries and give everything a really good mix together.
- Press the ingredients into a non-stick loaf tin and place in the freezer for 24 hours.
To serve, turn out the gelato cake and slice.