The combination of eggs, mustard, cheese and ham is perfect and has to make Croque Madame one of the most satisfying recipes around. It makes a great special breakfast or a wholesome brunch.
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 rounded tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 200ml milk
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 slices white bread
- 1 large egg
- 2 slices quality ham
- 100g Gruyere cheese
This Croque Madame recipe is a real French favourite. It's similar to the more traditional Croque Monsieur, but has a lovely fried egg and generous helping of béchamel sauce over the finished sandwich.
- Start by making the béchemel source. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan over medium to low heat. Stir in a tablespoon of flour and cook for a minute over the heat (to make a roux). Next add in the milk and bring to the boil, whisking all the time. Turn down to a low heat when thickened and add salt, pepper, and Dijon mustard.
- Fry a large egg in a frying pan.
- In a second frying pan, add a large tablespoon of butter and melt. Add 2 slices bread and toast lightly on one side for a couple of minutes before turning over in the pan. Cover one toasted side with the sauce, a generous handful of Gruyere cheese and a slice of ham.
- Place the second toasted slice on top of the cheese and ham to create a toasted sandwich in the pan.
- Next add the fried egg on top of the sandwich and cover with any of the leftover sauce if desired. Turn off the heat and devour!