Piccalilli is a great traditional British recipe, that remains popular on cold meats at Christmas and in sandwiches at picnics.
Start by preparing your ingredients:
- Peel your pickling onions
- Chop your cauliflower into small florets
- Top and tail your green beans and chop them into 1cm lengths.
- Slice your courgette into 5mm slices and then chop each one into four sectors.
- Crack your black peppercorns in a pestle and mortar.
- Now place all of your prepared vegetables into a large mixing bowl adding the salt, and mix thoroughly until everything is coated in salt.
- Cover your bowl with clingfilm and leave the vegetables overnight to allow the salt to extract the water.
- In lots of running water, thoroughly rinse your vegetables until all salt has been washed away, and leave them to dry.
- Add your vegetables and 300ml of your malt vinegar to a large pan, and bring to a simmer.As soon as the vinegar is simmering, throw in all of the other ingredients.
- When the vegetables have just started to soften (you want your piccalilli to have a crunch) add the remaining vinegar and stir in the cornflour.
- Simmer for a further 5 minutes before filling sterilised jars.
- Store your piccalilli in a cool dark place.