This is a great fresh recipe from Nigel Slater. Tomato and basil are a combination made in heaven, throw Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese in and nothing can go wrong. This recipe would be great as a light summer lunch, or as a starter for a more special evening meal.
- Nigel starts by halving and de-seeding his tomatoes before chopping them roughly.
- He spreads the chopped tomatoes out in a enamelled dish, covering the bottom surface.
- He then tears the basil leaves and places them over the top of the tomatoes.
- Nigel then prepares his crust by whizzing up his bread in a food processor to make a mixture of fine and coarse crumbs, which sprinkles over the tomato and basil.
- Nigel tops off the contents of the dish with a good grating of Parmesan cheese over the top, he adds a good grind of black pepper before placing it under a hot grill until the top starts to go crispy and turn golden brown.
- While his dish is under the grill Nigel tears up his ball of Mozzarella and places it on a plate.
- He then creates a dressing for the Mozzarella by whizzing up a bunch of Basil and flat leaf Parsley leafs with some Olive oil.
- He drizzles the oil and herb mixture over the Mozzarella and places his Salami slices in between spaces around the cheese.
- Nigel takes the crust out from under the grill and using a spatula, he places pieces of it over the top of the Mozzarella and Salami.